Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Race day checklist

Because I'm a Type A personality (you knew that, right?) I have attended no less than 1 seminar on the marathon, received a checklist from my trainer, talked to every marathoner I know, and read countless articles to better prepare myself for marathon day. There's a Plan A and a Plan B in the works. Because, you know, you have to be prepared and then be ready for not being prepared. I'm notorious for forgetting my phone, wallet, keys, race bibs, grocery list, etc, so this is why I like to make lists so I hopefully don't forget any of these things. 

My race day list includes many things, including all of my hydration needs, race bib, watch, body glide, wallet, clothes to change into for the post-race party, compression socks, etc. But most importantly is what I'm going to wear for the race. It's hard enough to pick what to wear every day, but try picking out what you want to wear for your first marathon! There's a lot of trial and error that went into finding the perfect long distance running clothing, at least for me. I've got to find something that's comfortable and gets the job done, whatever job that may be, without chafing, riding up, etc. From the top down, hats, shirts, shorts, socks, and shoes, any bad item can make for a frustrating run. 

Top: You may remember I posted about my favorite tanks earlier this summer. Well I've got some runners up now to choose from, one from Moving Comfort and one from Athleta. They both have really great support up top, fit very well, and have pockets. Of course, the snag is that it's recently been a little bit colder and who knows what the weather will be like on race day, so a tank top might not do it, especially if on race day I have to mill about at the start line for an hour. People usually recommend wearing a junky t-shirt or getting tube socks and cutting off the feet to make armwarmers so you can just take them off and chuck them after you're warmed up, so I might do that. 

Bottoms: I have a favorite pair of Adidas running capris that I've worn for many races, but they don't have any pockets (which is why I love tanks with pockets!)

Head: Some people go the sunglasses route, and others hats/visors. I still have never tried sunglasses, so I'll just stick to hats. I really like wearing my Red Sox hat at races (as evidenced by the sweat rings it now has), but it gets too hot during the long distances to be practical. I've been sporting a black visor, that's probably what I'll wear on race day. I will also put my name on my visor, on bright pink duct tape, because one tip I've heard from so many people is to have your name visible so people can cheer you on. 


Socks: My favorites are Balegas. I've never had a blister (knock on wood) and their short socks have a little tab the protect my heel from chafing. They're about $10 a pair but worth every penny. 


Shoes: The newer of my 2 pairs of shoes are the Saucony's that I posted about a few weeks ago. Unless I feel any pain, they'll be my goto for the race. 


Not so coincidentally, this is the outfit I wore for my last half marathon! So if you're looking to cheer me on during the race, look for a lady dressed like this, except her bib # will be 50108. Also be nice to her and remind her to smile because she's going twice as far as she did that day:



Marathon veterans, anything else I'm forgetting?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jocelyn:

    If the forecast looks like it's really cold at the start, have some cheap cotton gloves and possibly an ear warmer that you don't mind ditching, or even an extra t-shirt as well.

    Make sure you get lots of rest NOW; you will not get much sleep in the day or two before the marathon!

    You've done all the hard work--rest up and enjoy the taper! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered something else--

    Two years ago I was running the Grand Rapids marathon. I was really nervous around the start, and started fixating on my shoelaces--I should REALLY put some time into tying these, I thought, because I don't run a marathon every day!!

    I ended up tying them so tight one of my feet cramped badly and was sore for months afterward. The lesson was that I almost never paid attention to this aspect of my run in training, and then overthought it on race day. Had I just tied them normally, I would have been much better off.

    You've probably heard this 100 times: Don't do anything different on race day!!! The night before, eat what you normally ate before your long runs (don't try to "carb-out" if you haven't been already doing it in training!!).



    ReplyDelete