Friday, September 28, 2012

Taper time

Well dear friends, I am halfway through my taper time. For you non-distance runners out there, the taper is the time 2-3 weeks out from the marathon our mileage is severely cut back to rest up for race day. In the peak weeks of my training (before the 20 miler), I built up a lot of endurance and depleted a lot of my energy stores. This time is used for my body to repair itself, build up my glycogen stores, and mentally prepare for the race. The point is to rest, but not too much. This figure from another running blog shows visually how tapering can help your body for race day. 


Taper!! From runningnut dot com
I've heard many stories or people getting through their taper, enjoying their taper, and making themselves crazy during their taper. Having built up to our peak mileage, having to cut back leaves people with a lot of antsy energy. I've fallen into each of these categories at some point!

My body is definitely enjoying the break from the high weekly miles, maybe a little too much. I've been feeling a little under the weather the last few days, so I'm hoping I get all of this out of my system before race day. I have been drinking lots of Emergen-C, hot tea, Gatorade, and water, and getting lots of rest. I admit that every tiny twinge I feel freaks me out, but overall I'm feeling pretty good. I just need to maintain the same level of focus I have been for the final home stretch. The most important thing for me to do is follow the training plan and stay consistent. No use trying to work on speed, throw in a little extra mileage, or do an extra work out. You can't cram for a marathon, the hard work is done and behind me.

Tomorrow is our last group long run (6 miles...I remember when that was our long run in the beginning!) before the race. After that, there are a handful of 4 mile runs and then finally RACE DAY! In the next week I will be posting more information on the race, where you can spectate on the course, how to track me during the race. Another tip from the panel I attended last week was to go through your old training logs, so that you can remember how far you've come. Keep your eyes out for more to come!

I apologize in advance to anyone and everyone I speak to in the next nine days because I will not SHUT UP about the marathon. I will be obsessing about weather reports, what I'm wearing, a minor muscle ache in my quad, hydration, eating. Just remind me to stay excited and enjoy myself. I'll thank you later. 

4 comments:

  1. OMG: current 10-day forecast for 10/7 says 60/45, no rain, mostly cloudy. OMG OMG OMG

    that's the perfect weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I am not getting TOO excited yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jocelyn

    I am friends with steve. He told me your terrific story so I was really pleased to be able to donate. I have run 3 marathons and have enjoyed each one. Its ana amazing feeling of pride to finish and will stay with you for a long time. Enjoy your day. The hardest part is over. You made it to the starting line and can look forward to crossing the finish. All the best Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Annette!! I appreciate the good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete