Wednesday, September 19, 2012

No one likes a Negative Nancy

So this weekend, I finished my longest training run, 20 miles! A lot of people from our team turned out, it was pretty inspiring. We did a loop that went south, then back, then north, then back, so we end up passing by teammates multiple times on the course. I liked that. Also, spending 4 hours alone with my thoughts was something, and I think I really turned a corner after this run, and am filled with confidence that I can run the marathon. Here's some of what I focused on or learned this run:

I can run it alone.
For the last few runs I have been going with a buddy, which made the time go much faster, but she is actually must faster than me so this weekend she went with a faster group and I was by myself. On race day I have to be by myself, so I was glad to have the practice and be able to be my own motivator. Before she came along I was doing a lot of walking still, so I'm glad to have gotten through this one without walking. 

I don't have to be fast. 
For the first few miles I could see the faster pack in front of me and struggled to keep up. Then finally, I just let them go. I know they're faster than me. I know it. I just stopped caring. I have to run at the pace that I know I can, and stop trying to constantly catch up with people I can't hang with. There will always be people faster than me, and I'm not out to beat anyone, I just want to finish. As long as they don't shuffle me off the course and I finish on my own 2 feet, I will consider it a success.

I can finish. And maybe do better than I think. 
For some reason, every time I did the math for my projected finish time in the marathon, I would always round up--by a lot. I'm not sure if it's because I wanted a goal I knew I could break, or if I just expected myself to fall apart and do a lot of walking. I put myself in the last corral, without even doing the math, even though I probably belong in the one before that. Finally, after running 20 miles, I actually feel like I can finish without falling apart. 

Focus on Form
One of our trainers really resonates with me, and he gave us a few tips before the run. He talked about our posture, form, and staying positive. I forgot half of his tips, but the one on form really stuck with me, and I would pick it up whenever I got tired. When you're running, your arms should be going straight front and back, not across your chest. When I'm tired, I tend to get poor form, slump over, and drag my arms across my chest. So I would focus on my form when I knew I was tired, it helped me get through some rough patches. 

SMILE
I think the trainer's best tip was to SMILE! Having a positive attitude is so important. The camaraderie on the lakefront path on Saturday was awesome, so many people were out there running their 20 milers. It really does change your attitude to see so many smiles rather than exhausted faces. At my last half marathon, I tried to have a really fun race, smile for all the cameras, and give the thumbs up as much as possible. Maybe it's no coincidence that I had a great race! 

I am my biggest believer
It is finally dawning on me just how mental distance running is. You may remember my post about the little devil on my shoulder. Well, there is no room for him any more. I can do this, and I just may surprise myself how well I do it. It's funny when people would ask me how my last half marathon went I would say, "Great!" but when they asked me about my time, I would say, "Well I'm really slow, so just under 2:30." I don't know why I feel the need to tell everyone I'm slow, finishing a half marathon is a huge accomplishment! No need to front load with an apology. I have to be my biggest cheerleader. 

When I got back from my run, the trainer said, "You did it! How did it feel?" And without warning, I started to cry. Because it went well. And this was the first time I actually felt it and now I believe it. I can actually do this, I am going to run the marathon.  

5 comments:

  1. You ARE going to the run marathon, and you are going to rule at it. You are awesome and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are learning lessons of a lifetime that some people never have the opportunity to learn. You are such a wonder. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 20 Jocelyn! I'm a little jealous of all of your training buddies. My 20+ runs get lonely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Lauren, major props to you for running 20+ by yourself, that takes some huge motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job--YOU RAN TWENTY MILES!!!! ever thought you'd say that?

    Trust me, on 10/7, you will be well rested, excited, pumped with adrenalin---it will be a LOT easier to run then. Just don't make my classic mistake: getting caught in the euphoria at the start and going to fast (and paying for it later in the marathon!)

    Good luck! See you at the 17!

    ReplyDelete