Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Running torture/recovery devices

Earlier this week I was emailing back and forth with my cousin (Hi Maura!), who is running a half marathon on October 7 (same day as my marathon), and we were trading running apparatus recommendations. It occurred to me that I might share in some of our wacky accessories and means of recovery, and hopefully get recommendations on new ones. There's so much running gear out there, from GPS watches, special food, sports drinks, hydration belts, fancy headphones--it's probably all unnecessary. Nothing is actually required far beyond the right clothes, your legs, water, and stretching. But when my legs are tired and I've got aches and pains, I'll try almost anything, especially if it's cheap or recommended by a friend/trainer. Maybe I'm just a toy junkie. Anyways, here are some of my favorite recovery devices:

1. Ice bath:
Lately I've been taking these when I get home from my long runs. I take a quick hot shower to wash off the sweat, so I'm not sitting in my own filth. Then I get a cup of hot coffee, a magazine, and start filling up the tub with the coldest that comes out of the tap. If I'm feeling particularly brave, I throw in a few bowlfuls of ice from the freezer. I fill it up so it completely covers my legs, and then I sit for about 30 minutes. The thought here is that the cold water reduces inflammation and helps with muscle soreness. I met another marathoner this week who swears by this, but also she would rotate the ice bath with a hot shower (get in ice bath, run to another shower and get under hot hot water for 5 mins, back into ice bath, back into hot shower). I only have 1 tub so that's out for me!

2. Foot balls:
I have had some foot pain in the ball of my right foot, and the last time I went for shoes at Fleet Feet the salesperson recommended these Foot Balls. It's basically a nice little ball with fingers that can gently massage my feet. I keep it under my desk at work and just give it a few rolls every once in a while. They run about $5. 


3. Myofascial release/Foam Roller
Another particularly painful form of recovery is myofascial release. My chiropractor does this on my piriformis (butt/hip muscle) when I see her. It basically involves her jamming her thumbs into my butt while I do a leg stretch to break up tight muscle fibers (from what I understand). It's the kind of thing that "hurts good" because it hurts but I know it's helping loosen up my tight muscles. 

And then there's the foam roller, which is a way for self-myofascial release. The idea behind the foam roller is to use your body weight on the roller to create pressure and break up muscle knots that form that can't be broken up by stretching alone. Typically the area of concern for distance runners is the IT band, the iliotibial band which (in simplistic terms) connects your hips to your knees. Tightness in the IT band is usually the culprit of knee and hip pain in runners. Loosening up the knots in this muscle is very important for preventing this pain. 

I myself was talked into the "trigger point" foam roller (are you noticing a trend? I can be talked into anything at a running store). It is particularly gnarly, with little trigger points on it that change the pressure feeling on the area. It's a blessing and a curse, as foam rolling can be kind of painful. I find it's also helpful to not roll, but just rest on the points in the areas I need it. This set me back about $40, but they last longer than the regular foam rollers. 



I've also heard people swear by the following, although I haven't tried any of these:

1. KT Tape
You may have seem athletes during the Olympics with all sorts of brightly colored tape. That stuff is KT Tape, or Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape. The tape provides pain relief by relieving pressure in the pain area and increasing circulation to help recovery. And the best part is that the tape application lasts for days. They had a booth at the Expo at the Rock N Roll Half Marathon, taping up everyone's aches and pains, and the application lasts until after the race. 

2. Epsom salt bath:
Many people tout the benefits of Epsom salt baths, for minor aches and pains, soreness, inflammation, hangovers, you name it. 

3. Massage Stick:
This is a lighter form of myofascial release, more of a massage, but working on the same concept of breaking up tightened muscles. 

4. Compression socks/sleeves:
These are also supposed to help support circulation and reduce cramping. Runners wear them during and after races to help prevent inflammation and muscle soreness. They sell them for arms, quads, calves, and feet, and in BRIGHT colors so you can also wear them at night and people will see you for miles. 

Anything else I'm missing that you swear by for running recovery?

3 comments:

  1. chocolate milk.

    i'm serious: it has exactly the right ratio of carbs to protein (4:1 by weight) recommended immediately after hard exercise. Your body needs to start replenishing and repairing right away, so something like this that absorbs quickly within 45 minutes of your long run is a good start.

    Remember, running long distances doesn't make your legs stronger--it's the REST afterward where they become stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tip Steve! I keep chocolate milk in the fridge too. Tasty recovery drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a very proactive user of the trigger point roller (and need to start using it again). If only the pain generated from that roller could be used to power my house.

    I never had any foot/arch pains during my marathon training but after the marathon, my left arch was in agonizing pain. I bought one of the foot balls and massaged both my arch and the tendons on the outside of the foot and it went away in just a few days. I was impressed!

    I bought some compression socks and used them after long runs. I can't swear by them, but I never had any calf issues...so they might have helped.

    Other than that, I did not use any other methods of recovery besides rest.
    Oh beer. That helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete