Thursday, August 23, 2012

Accidental running diva

This weekend my Dad was visiting (HI DAD!) and we went to Fleet Feet to pick up a birthday present for me, new shoes! I did just buy a new pair of shoes not that long ago, but estimates for the limit on shoes are 300-500 miles. With ~25 miles per week, I figured it might be safe to have a second broken in pair in the rotation rather than needing a new pair right around the marathon. 


I know you're not supposed to pick shoes based on color, and they even have a sign to this effect in the store. So without letting my eyes be my guide, I ended up picking out my pair. And they were red. After making my decision, like a total diva, I asked the salesperson, "I know you're not supposed to pick on color, and I really like these, but I'm running for a breast cancer organization and they'll clash! Do you have any others?" 

Thankfully, they did, so now I have a sweet pair of blue shoes that won't clash with all my pink running gear. Success!

Watch out, I'll be slowly trudging past you in these!

Other than that, I've pretty much just been plodding along in the training. I've been able to complete all of my runs, adding more Pilates to the routine, and I've also gone swimming in the pool, that seems to be able to keep my back loose. I'm sad my back is not fully healed yet, but so far it hasn't stopped me from completing my mileage, and that's the best I can ask for. My chiropractor also recommended incorporating a 30 min sports massage into my next appointment before my next half marathon (yes, please), so hopefully that helps too. I'm always going to wish I were faster, but for the most part I've completely gotten over my slow pace and just set my sights on finishing with minimal walking. 

I also have to give a shoutout to Tim, who is handling his running diva like a champ. I'm pretty sure him and everyone else I know is sick of my talking about running, Clif Shots vs. Gu, ice baths, and soreness, but it's pretty much all I do! And I've been known to get a huge case of grumps. He's wonderful for dealing with me, I am so appreciative. I showed him this video my friend Lauren posted to warn him of what's to come, it's pretty funny. Maybe Tim will have enough of his own advice to share with you all about dealing with your Running Diva!




3 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY wish they were pink, but my feet prefer these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! Saucony rocks! You're right on breaking in the new shoes now so they're ready for 10-7! I know what you mean about the marathon taking over your life--but it's a great feeling in the end!

    ReplyDelete