Friday, August 3, 2012

28 years: A recap

Happy birthday to me! In the 29 year old club now, on my way to (yikes!) 30. 

Looking back, my 28th year was certainly a roller coaster year. I remember sitting in my sister's house in August 2011, and I drafted a list "28 things for 28" marking things I wanted to do that year. I've accomplished many, not all. There were lots of concrete things on there (make things for people in my family, finish the sweater I was working) and some hard to quantify goals (hug the people I love, enjoy my family). I crossed a lot off, but failed at some. Many things have happened outside of my control, but just like in running, I have to remind myself of the successes and milestones, and not focus on the failures. 

By far the most significant thing that happened last year was my sister Megan passing away from metastatic breast cancer. I sometimes can't believe it happened, it doesn't seem real, and it has changed my life forever. I'm sad not to have a happy birthday wish from her this year. I regret not being able to spend all the time in the world with her, not being at the family wedding with her a few weeks before she died, but incredibly grateful for the time I did have with her and being able to come out to be with her while she was in the hospital and at home for hospice care. Despite the situation, there were a few glimmers of Megan there for me to remember. Eventually, I gave the eulogy at her funeral, which was all at once the saddest, bravest, and most honored thing I think I've ever been asked to do. 

Everything else pales in comparison, but here are a few more things from my year:
  • Quit my old job and started a new one.
  • Ran over 300 miles; signed up and am training for a marathon; ran a half marathon. My original list just said "Run"
  • Got a prophylactic double mastectomy and reconstruction new boobs.  Original list said simply "Take care of my boobs."
  • Hosted a Thanksgiving dinner with Tim at my condo and sent out Christmas cards. 
  • Tim and I took our first vacation together (not just visiting family/friends.) It was to Gary, IN, but it still counts!
  • Renewed my passport. Still haven't used it, but it's ready.
  • Engaged to be married to the love of my life and my perfect fit, Tim. 
As a birthday present to me, Tim and I ran the Terrapin 5K together last night in Chicago. I ran at a pace much slower than usual on account of the back, but it actually felt good. Tim is a trooper for doing it with me, I know he doesn't like to run. What an awesome race! Megan would have loved it. Right at Soldier Field, the post-race party was a music festival, and they had munchies and Magic Hat beer. Sitting on the lawn, drinking a few beers, listening to Grateful Dead covers, and looking at the beautiful moon--I was a happy camper. I'd like to think she was there, wishing me a happy birthday and best wishes for the next year :)
Tim and I at the Terrapin 5K
Ready to rock 29!

No comments:

Post a Comment