Monday, August 13, 2012

Friendly reminder: C25K

For any of you running or planning to run the Run Like an Antelope 5K on October 14th,  don't forget this is Week 1 of the Couch to 5K program. There are 9 weeks until the race, and if you have never run a 5K before, now is the time to start training! 

Many of my friends and family are running the race, and some are coming from far away. I am so humbled and excited for all of the people who knew or have never met Megan that are coming out for the race. For some, it's their first 5K. I'm extremely proud and happy for anyone who has decided to run and has embarked on a training plan to run their first race.  Running is a great part of a healthy lifestyle and exercise routine; it's humbling, exhilarating, and there's a steep improvement curve. I'm glad I've stuck with it. I won't lie, there are many times I don't enjoy it, but a lot of time I do, and I almost always leave every run with a sense of accomplishment. 

Of course I can think of no better first race than Megan's, as there is a personal meaning for me and many other people. The post-race party with food and beer can't hurt either :) I think she would be happy to know she has encouraged so many people to be active. 

I remember my first 5K--it was in Chicago. Mom, Megan, and I ran the United Run for the Zoo in 2008 with Rusty and Billy as our "athletic supporters." As a family that could not be described as athletic, it was kind of surprising that the three of us signed up for a 5K as part of our vacation. But during my first visit home the winter after moving to Chicago, Mom, Billy and I went to see Megan and Rusty run the Jingle Bell 5K in Somerville, MA. We watched their race, then followed to a nearby bar for some Harpoon post-race beers. It  seemed like a fun time, and I was inspired to find one back in Chicago. Megan inspired me to run my first 5K and look where it has led--I'm training for my first marathon. Be careful all of you who are signed up for the race, you never know what kind of habits you'll be starting!

Megan, Mom, and I at the United Run for the Zoo in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment