Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why I'm not running (yet)

So my last post gave all the reasons I am running the marathon this fall, but the fact is I can't even run yet! I wish I could start my training RIGHT NOW, but I just had surgery and my plastic surgeon would be angry with me. He's the boss so I am listening to him. Below is my boyfriend Tim and I at the Ravenswood Run 5K last Sunday. I'm wearing a shirt, but not a number, because I had to watch on the sidelines. I watched Tim and my friend Adam (visiting from out of town) run the race. It's not quite as fun on the other side, but I did enjoy watching and I have an appreciation for all of the times Tim has met me at the finish line. 


Me, Tim, and Adam at the Ravenswood Run 5K, 04/29/12
Why can't I run? On February 16th I had a prophylactic double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery was on April 18th. (I would like to stress that I'm not sick, this was purely preventative! More on the surgery another time.) The plastic surgeon recommends 6 weeks with no running, lifting, straining, etc, which was not a problem for me after the first surgery, since I could hardly walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. The mastectomy really took a lot out of me and it took a lot of stretching and walking to get myself back to feeling normal. However, after the reconstruction surgery I actually felt better than when I went in, because in the time between my mastectomy and my reconstruction, I had these tissue expanders which "made room" for my implants, and they were very uncomfortable, to say the least.  You can get an idea of what the TEs are like hereI feel great after this surgery, and I am antsy to get my life back to normal. 

Now I just have to wait for my incisions to heal and the first day I'm allowed to run again is May 30th. I can't wait! The weather is getting nicer, I want to be outside, and I am so jealous every time I see other runners. But for now I am relegated to walking and the elliptical. I can't do yoga yet, I am still nervous about bearing my full weight on my chest muscles. There's plenty of things I can be doing though, especially eating right (carrying around extra weight is never a good thing, and it will help my pace!). There's also the Soldier Field 10 miler that I signed up for on Memorial Day weekend. I signed up when I had no plans of surgery, but I am still planning to do the race, except I'll have to walk it. I have to get my legs used to working hard again and setting aside long periods of time to work out. Walking 10 miles though, I feel like that's going to take forever! 

Thankfully, the Bright Pink training program doesn't start until June 4th, so if all goes well I should be right on schedule. And for now....the dreadmill is my friend. 

1 comment:

  1. I guess that Mr Ostrey's English class has borne fruit!

    ReplyDelete