Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Minor setback

Minor setback in Jocelyn-running-the-marathon-land.


I noticed a red spot under one of my new breasts recently, and I figured it was just my skin healing, no big deal. Then the red spot grew and I could no longer ignore it. On Friday I called my doctor's office, sent them a picture, and the nurse prescribed me with an antibiotic, she thought it was an infection. I was skeptical, because I feel great (although I have no feeling in my breasts, so that's not saying much). On Monday, no improvement, so I called again. Thankfully I was working from home, so I went in to meet with my plastic surgeon. 

Turns out it's not an infection, but it's thin skin. I always knew I needed thicker skin (har har), but this isn't good news. I don't think the temporary sports bras I've been wearing are doing me any favors, so he recommended I switch to a surgical bra, and avoid sleeping on that side (although it's my favorite). Definitely no running until he's okay with it. I told him my plans to run the marathon, and he didn't seem concerned. I'm not sure he realizes how much training is involved! In fact, he spent more time looking at how the other breast looked than the one I was concerned about. 

I can't lie, I'm disappointed. I had planned to run/walk the Soldier Field 10 miler this weekend but I'm sitting that one out. My Mom, some nice folks on Ravelry in the Running with Sharp Objects group (why yes I go to my knitting site to get running advice), and my friend Adam (who's running his first marathon in Hawaii next month) talked me down from the ledge. I'm not going to quit before I even begin, so I'm going to do what I can to get cardio exercise and work my legs without any impact on the new boobs. I have a follow up appointment with the doctor next week, where I will be clear about what exercise I can do. I also meet my training team this week, and the training program begins the first week of June. I'll just be honest with the trainer and ask what I should do. I certainly know I can't do this if I'm not healthy, so that's the first step. 

3 comments:

  1. Aw man, what a bummer. I know you'll be a good patient, heal quickly and be back out in no time. What are you going to be doing to train in the meanwhile? biking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can safely bike and maybe use the elliptical, and of course regular walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry! I got pneumonia right when I was supposed to start training for my first marathon. My 16-week training program got cut down to like 11-12 weeks, and I was still able to finish the race. The cross-training you mention will keep up your cardio fitness, and you'll be able to bounce right back into training.

    ReplyDelete