Friday, May 25, 2012

Meeting the team

Last night was the Team Bright Pink introductions, where we met each other, the Bright Pink coordinator Wendy Avner, Andrea Metcalf (a celebrity lifestyle trainer), and our trainer Joy Miles (quite an appropriate name if you ask me) from Fitness Formula Clubs. We also got the lowdown on our training schedule, which starts June 4. We'll have the opportunity for group workouts 3 times per week (one regular, one track workout and one long run), and also the best part (in my opinion) is a membership to a FFC (Fitness Formula Clubs) workout club in Chicago. I love my regular gym, but these gyms are swanky. The location I signed up for has a pool! And showers! It will be nice to try it for a few months and shake up the group fitness routine.
Also as part of the training program, we have access to injury prevention and rehab programs with Nova Care, as well as a partnership with Running Away Multisport for deals and gear assistance. There will be lots of team events, larger group runs, seminars on stretching and nutrition, pedicures (just don't scrape my calluses!), a pre-race pasta dinner, post-race massages, post-race party (WITH SHOWERS!) and the list goes on. I also met with some of the other members of the team, who aren't all marathon experts. Not to knock experts, they're fantastic and motivating, but I don't want to always feel like the "slow one." One woman is a breast cancer survivor and has run 22 marathons (we just met, already had a few tears, shared a hug), one woman who began running only 1 year ago and completed the Chicago Marathon last year, and another first timer running her first half next month. I feel very encouraged. 

But my major concern was still my running. I told the trainer Joy about my thin skin and asked what she thought. She seems to think I can do a lot with the cross training and is willing to tweak the schedule for me if I'm not able to run right away. I asked her what I would do if I can't train and she told me "Can't is a cuss word." I feel much more motivated that barring something bad that prevents me from running altogether, I can still do this. It may not be the most ideal training, but my goal is just to FINISH. And it could be just my imagination, but I do feel my thin skin starting to thicken up. 


Anyways, I have my new motto: CAN'T IS A CUSS WORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment