Friday, June 1, 2012

Aced this one

Today I had my follow up appointment with my plastic surgeon. He is happy with the progress of my thin skin, but it's still not completely healed. He recommended I wear an Ace bandage, because it seems like whatever bras I have been wearing are pressing against the area and creating pressure. So for now, this is my new favorite sports bra:
But more importantly, I can run! I phrased the question in about three different ways just to be sure:
Can I run? Yes
Because you know, I signed up for the marathon. No problem
So just to be clear, I have zero restrictions on exercise. Correct
Zero. He told me to run with the ace bandage, or nothing if I wanted. Imagine that, running with NO sports bra! Again, because the implants are underneath my muscles, they are very well supported already. But I wouldn't want to risk any chafing damage to my skin since I don't have much feeling, so I'll just stick to the Ace bandage until I'm ready to graduate back to my awesome sports bra. Heck I'll wear that thing through the marathon if I have to (I'll replace it once it gets stinky, don't worry). 

In fact, now that I think of it, I don't think he ever explicitly told me last appointment that I couldn't run, just that I couldn't wear a sports bra. At any rate, I wasn't supposed to be running until 6 weeks after my last surgery, which was actually only the day before yesterday. In the meantime, I've become BFFs with the other machines at the gym, including the treadmill, elliptical, and bike. 

Training starts next Tuesday and Tim and I are off to Miller Beach for the weekend. We should be doing a fair amount of walking, but hopefully I can sneak in a quick run! 

No comments:

Post a Comment