Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Training Week 1

This week marks my first (of 18) weeks of marathon training. I started off my running (or attempted to) with 3 miles at Miller Beach, IN on Sunday, where Tim and I were staying for a little vacation. It was pretty hot and I hadn't hydrated (unless you count whiskey and beer), so it was kind of a slog. Not a good way to start my training, but I figured it could only get better. 

And it has! Yesterday was a good run, we were supposed to do a 3 mile tempo run (where you have a warmup, then 20 minutes of hard running, little cool down). I decided to run around Graceland Cemetery by my house, which has the benefits of being a 2 mile loop (approx 4 half mile segments) with no stop lights. I had trouble keeping up the hard pace for the required 20 minutes, so I kind of went easy for one segment, hard, easy, hard. For the first few hard segments my pace was better than I've ever seen! Hopefully I will get better at those hard segments, but I know it doesn't happen overnight. I also ended up running over 4 miles (whoops), which is further than I have since before my first surgery in February. I'd call that a win. 

I have my first Team Bright Pink group run on Wednesday, and then this weekend I will be out of town (visiting my friend Erin in Atlanta, then off to the NFPA conference in Las Vegas). After this trip I will have trained in 4 states in a week and a half! It's pretty hot in Atlanta and Las Vegas, so I'm not expecting any stellar times, I just want to put my miles in and start getting used to the heat. 

View my Marathon Training map in Google Maps

1 comment:

  1. Cool; remember, its just one foot in front of the other!

    ReplyDelete