Friday, July 20, 2012

What is Bright Pink?

So as you may have heard, I'm running the Chicago Marathon for Bright Pink. What is Bright Pink


Bright Pink is an awesome organization to empower women just like me, women who are at a high risk for breast and ovarian cancer. When I received my BRCA test results, I was hungry for information and Bright Pink provided it. 

As I mentioned previously I have gotten tons of information from Bright Pink, and hearing about founder Lindsay Avner's story is what made me realize a prophylactic double mastectomy was not a crazy idea. They also have the Pink Pal program, where you can get matched up with someone like you to talk to and get advice. I also did this, and was grateful for the advice of another woman in a similar situation. I hope to give back to this program in the future. They have monthly outreach events and several educational events. They are also totally social media savvy and do things like tweet chats, conference calls with experts, and post interesting articles and stories. And fun events like FabFest, featuring Giuliana Rancic. You may have heard of her, she is an E! News Correspondent, has a reality show on E! (Giuliana and Bill), was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and is friends with the founder of Bright Pink. They also have this genius service, Underwire Alerts. You get a text every month reminding you to do your breast self exam. Their site is also FULL of information, ranging from basic info, statistics, fertility, insurance, etc. 

I remember when I got the results of my BRCA test, after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was regularly writing on her blog: Megan's Pink Blog. I messaged her "I wish there was a color lighter than pink, it could be Jocelyn's light pink blog." I was looking for something for people in my position--people who are at risk, but don't have the disease. Throughout my surgeries I had endless resources on breastcancer.org, but sometimes I feel guilty about asking vain questions or complaining, because I didn't have cancer. I had a lot of questions and concerns, but they really pale in comparison to the concerns of people who are really facing a life threatening illness. 

Then I remembered the organization that my OB/GYN had recommended when I told her about Megan. Bright Pink...the opposite of light! I didn't look into it back then, because I honestly didn't want to deal with it. But after I got my BRCA test, I couldn't ignore it any more and wanted as much information as possible, to connect with people who were faced with the same decisions. That's when I really sought them out. And it has truly changed me, I am so thankful they are around. Their mission is about helping women face their risks and becoming empowered by that information, not waiting around for something bad to happy, but using it as motivation to live healthy.

Needless to say I am very excited to be running the marathon for this team and raising money for this awesome nonprofit, which has done so much to help me. Please consider donating to my fundraising effort, helping me reach my goal, and allowing this nonprofit to  help many more women just like me! My goal is to raise $1500, and have raised $475 to date. Every bit helps, and I'll be thinking of you all during my training and marathon who have given me strength and made this possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment